COMING AT YOU THE WEEK OF 11.7.23
I don’t take strong stances very often. But I have some fixed opinions to share.
- Matt Lucas was the funniest host of Bake Off (aka Great British Baking Show), and no one can even hold a candle to him
- This week’s Interesting Things section is fire.
Hayley Hot Takes
PS Please tell me if you did like Matt as a host (or if you do not like Noel 😬). I feel like I’m the only one, and it shocks me.
It had to feel surreal to write policies protecting us from
robot AI doomsday catastrophes. This executive order also:
- Tells AI companies to perform safety and trustworthy tests on their tools
- Asks developers to create standards and tools to protect us from AI-assisted cyber attacks, fraud, and more
- Cautions against the misuse of AI to cause discrimination or bias
- Recommends attracting AI talent from overseas, including easing immigration restrictions
Say sayonara to first-click, linear, time decay, and position-based attribution models. Google announced this months ago, but it’s going into effect now.
You can mark that you’re a small business and Google will label your products accordingly in Search and your business will show the label in Maps.
When you search the name of certain companies, you’re often served a knowledge panel that shows general info like the company’s address and number of employees. That search feature will start showing helpful shopping info for retailer searches, like deals, shipping and return policies, ratings, reviews, and customer service info.
This broad core update comes just a few weeks after both a spam and a broad core update rolled out in October. Google said that this “update involves an improvement to a different core system than last month.”
- Facebook and Instagram are banned from using targeted ads in Europe
- In response, Meta intro’d ad-free plans for Insta and FB in Europe
- After seven years, Google’s officially a mobile-first indexing machine
- Google’s AI imagery tool for merchants—Product Studio—is rolling out
- Now you can add multiple posts to a thread before publishing with Threads on web
I am hungry for answers on feeling more energetic and focused. And this piece didn’t disappoint. I left with things I can experiment with to feel more energized at work.
How a shady company buries news reports of their clients’ crimes in search results.
♥️ 🤖 ♥️
Large language models improve their performance when given emotional prompts. So, LLMs have some emotional intelligence??
💰 💰 💰
A list of the top 20 most profitable Google searches.
Walmart got the OG Mean Girls to tell everyone, “On Wednesdays we shop deals.”
You can snatch up these free, weekly emails here.