Video creation tips unique to Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok
Want your social videos to fit your audience’s expectations and needs? This infographic covers video formatting info (dimensions, file types, length, etc.) and production tips for the different social platforms. Here are the highlights for three of the social networks.
Let’s start with the #1-used social media platform, Facebook
Why to use video on FB: This app is used by over 2 billion people in the world (there are 7.8 billion total, btw). Plus, FB’s average engagement rate of video posts is 6.01%.
- Consider using FB for paid ads because it’s great at targeting (finding the best people to show your ads to).
- Uploading a .mov or .MP4 can get you more views than uploading a link to a video because FB prioritizes uploaded videos.
- Best length is 2-3 minutes.
Instagram started as a photo sharing app but it’s transitioning its focus to video sharing
Why to use video on Instagram: Videos get 3x more comments than photos on Instagram. Also, features like swipe-ups in stories make Instagram the best platform for the e-commerce industry.
- Videos are most effective at 30-60 seconds.
- Influencer reviews and shoppable videos currently see lots of success.
- Wednesdays are often the best day to post.
Last but surely not least, we have TikTok
Why to use TikTok: On average, a user will spend roughly 52 minutes per day on TikTok. That’s about 1 million videos being viewed every day (e’er day, e’er day).
- Keep videos to 9-15 seconds.
- Story-driven videos thrive here, so create a narrative.
- Use that week or month’s trending songs, filters, and hashtags.
- Keep up with relevant challenges (e.g. #invertedfilterchallenge) and use them.
The infographic also reminds us all that there are a few elements to creating social video that stay constant across all platforms. 1) Don’t go for the hard-sell, 2) tell a story, 3) lead out with your best videos, and 4) always include a clear call-to-action.
Now get recording!